World Contraception Day (WCD) is a worldwide campaign with a vision for a world where every pregnancy is wanted. Its mission is to improve awareness of contraception to enable young people to make informed decisions on sexual and reproductive health. Under the motto “Your Future. Your Choice. Your Contraception”, WCD 2012 focuses on empowering young people to think ahead and build contraception into their future plans, in order to prevent an unplanned pregnancy or sexually transmitted infection (STI).
WCD is supported by a coalition of 11 international Non-Governmental Organizations (NGOs) and scientific and medical societies with an interest in sexual and reproductive health and is sponsored by Bayer HealthCare. The NGOs involved in WCD are:
- Asian Pacific Council on Contraception (APCOC)
- Centro Latinamericano Salud y Mujer (CELSAM)
- European Society of Contraception and Reproductive Health (ESC)
- Deutsche Stiftung für Weltbevölkerung (DSW)
- International Federation of Pediatric and Adolescent Gynecology (FIGIJ)
- International Planned Parenthood Federation (IPPF)
- Marie Stopes International (MSI)
- Population Services International (PSI)
- The Population Council
- The United States Agency for International Development (USAID)
- Women Deliver (WD)
World Contraception Day is an annual event taking place on September 26. Every year, countries and regions around the world organize events to mark World Contraception Day and to demonstrate their commitment to raising awareness of contraception and improving education regarding reproductive and sexual health.
This website is an important part of the campaign and is packed full of useful information about contraception and sexual health, as well as insightful videos and blog updates from the Youth Task Force. The site also contains a database of healthcare resources in your local area in case you want to talk to someone about sex and contraception.